The Nitty Gritty on Instagram Influencers
Grab a latte, take a little break and let’s chat Instagram! Britt and Deb have both built a large part of their business because of Instagram! This social media platform has a unique ability to group and bring niches together. Within our home décor niche we have spent many hours chatting with friends who share similar and passions and goals. What we have discovered is that these simple messages have turned into real friendship! Are you curious what we are chatting about? Or better yet, what it is we do as Instagram Influencers? Let’s dive in!
First, we have found that there are so many supportive women (yes, there are men in the niche, but the great majority are women). It is women supporting women! Sharing ideas about personal development, recipe ideas, decorating ideas and business tips! Over the last couple years Instagram has become a “Real Business,” and a main avenue for advertising.
Brands began giving “influencers” free product in exchange for advertising and promoting their products. However, in the last few years “influencers” have been more assertive about receiving monetary compensation for the promotion of a businesses products and services.
If you are an Instagram Influencer please HEAR this … There is value in what you share with your community! Your time is not FREE!
If you are a business looking to have your product or services promoted please HEAR this … just like you put effort into building your business, influencers have also put in effort building their community and creating trust with those people. Just like you need money to pay bills, influencers are in a similar boat.
Mortgages and groceries can’t be paid for with pillows and rugs. Influencers and businesses need to be respectful of each other’s time and the value they have put into the business each has built!
Small Business Owners
Owning a physical business and also belonging to the Instagram Influencer side gives us a unique perspective. We have put countless hours into our Vintage Society Shop and countless hours into building our community. This is why we have not asked our Influencer friends to promote our products because we respect their time and value and have not set funds aside to pay for their promotion.
Receive emails on SHOP restocks and the girl's latest DIY and home decor tips by joining The Vintage Society! Sign up now!
Influencers vs. Businesses
Let’s break down a few tips for the Instagram Influencers and for business’s about how to increase your engagement and build your community.
For the Instagram Influencer:
2. There will be “brands” that are willing to pay for promotion of a product or service you may not agree with … do NOT work with these companies because of #1!
3. As much as you don't want to be giving away free content at all times... DO NOT sell all of the time either. It’s a balance of giving Free advice, tips, services and asking for monetary compensation.
4. Acknowledge if this is a Job or a hobby. For us, Instagram started out as a hobby of sharing our homes, however it has evolved into a legitimate job. If you want this to be your job you need to show up consistently, engage with your community on a real level. Answer people, share and be helpful. If you are on Instagram as a hobby that is awesome, relax and enjoy sharing what you want!
For the business with a physical product or a service to offer:
1. You will naturally be selling more to your community than offering Free advice and tips and that is what you are here for!
2. Rather than constantly selling on every Instagram post offer tips on how your product work, how to use it in unique ways and FAQ are a great way to mix different content into your grid!
3. Share other business’s!! Say what? Promote another product or brand? YESSS! Let’s work together! For example, you sell hats and you find a fellow IG account who sells scarves… cross promote! Send each other products and take pictures of the items together! Offer discounts if you buy one product you get a coupon to the other shop. This is a great way to grow and get outside promotion if you don’t have a budget for advertising.
Don't Forget to Get Paid
Advertising on social media will continue to grow and if you are a business or looking to delve into the world of influencing there is money to be made. It is not a piece of cake to build a brand just like its not easy to build a community and following that trust what you have to say. Whatever avenue you may fall under be respectful of everyones time and what they have worked hard to build.
We have friends on IG who are scared to ask for money when brands want them to promote their products.... here is what we have told them. When you tell a brand you will promote their product for FREE, then you take away the power from other influencers that ask for money to work with the same brand. You can only have so many items in your house and free products cannot pay the bills so understand what kind of collaboration you are starting.