St Patrick’s Paleo Peppermint Patties… say that three times in a row without getting tongue twisted.
St Pattie’s day is known for green beer, green pancakes, even good ol’green eggs and ham! It’s a bit of an extra special day in our home as my hubby’s name happens to be Patrick, so why not give him an extra day in the year. The kids and I decided to make him a special lil’treat today and put a bit of a spin on it by making it green. I am not a lover of most baking so this really is an easy peasy recipe and one that is even better because it can almost pass as a healthy snack. Hope y’all are enjoying your St Patrick’s day as much as we are.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup honey, you could use agave too
- ½ teaspoon peppermint oil, I use the Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil
- ½ to 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 6-8 drops of green food colouring
- In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, honey, food colouring and peppermint oil, mixing with a spoon
- Smash clumps of coconut oil against side of bowl until mixture is smooth
- Mix in the shredded coconut
- Freeze mixture for a few minutes until it starts to harden, then remove from freezer
- Measure out little balls using a melon baller or spoon onto a parchment paper lined plate
- Place plate in freezer to firm up mint balls; when firm, remove from freezer
- Melt chocolate for 2 minutes in the microwave; stir and allow to cool slightly
- Dip patties into melted chocolate (use spoon to drop patty into melted chocolate, dip and remove)
- Place patties on parchment paper to harden (takes 10 minutes though on a summer day you may need to refreeze)
Makes about 12 patties
These tasty treats are so yummy and they literally melt in your mouth. I was also lucky enough to get a shamrock plant at the local Sobeys this week so that just adds to the fun of this favorite day. If I can baby this little guy along over the next few months I am going to plant it outside in the garden for a little bit of luck.