Growing up Deb spent so many of her summers in their family camper. Her family would head to BC for a few weeks of fun in the sun. Now that she have kids of my own, it seemed only natural to continue the camping tradition. A few years ago, she bought the perfect little trailer, a 2008 Aerolite and right away she was set on 'Glamping it up'. It was time for a camper remodel! There was nothing wrong with the way it looked but it just didn't have the feel she wanted. She has invested a lot of time and energy into her home and if she was going to leave it for a weekend, she wanted it to be to for a cute and cozy place.
Happy Camper Remodel
Deb finally took the plunge and began painting the cabinets. Most people thought she was crazy to paint them cream but she knew that she wanted to distress them so it would look great even if they got chipped up along the way. Deb used Country Chic Chalk Paint in Vanilla Frosting for the cabinets and a soft grey-blue in the walls (She can't give a specific colour as it's a mixture of a few paints she had kicking around and some pure white) Deb had a ton of beautiful hardware leftover from her showroom so she was able to add new pulls and knobs to the cabinets. She topped off the kitchen with a beautiful salvage tin backsplash behind the stove.
Deb also decided to paint the fabric window trim and cushion covers. The windows trim were done in Vanilla Frosting and the cushion covers done in Pebble Beach by Country Chic. Most of the areas took about two coats but a few more boldly patterned areas took three or four coats. I used the 'fabric softener' method to try and keep the painted cushions a bit more workable. To do this, she simply added approx 10% fabric softener to the paint and mixed it up! It helps to soften the fabric and not let it get to stiff!
Deb removed the not so pretty green curtains that were separating the kitchen from the bedroom and recovered the whole opening with a chippy white washed barn wood. She also sealed the wood using polyurethane to make sure it wouldn't give splinters. Using up a few of Grandma's old doilies, Deb made a pretty curtain. This totally softened the look of the room.
She replaced the tabletop of the kitchen table using the same chippy barn wood by simply building a platform and drilling it to the existing tabletop. Deb then used several coats of polyurethane to seal it. It is still able to fit in the original space allowing for the bed to lay down over it. She had this pretty chandelier still from her showroom and decided that it would look good above the table to add a bit more character! It looks amazing!
Last but not least...
Lastly, she replaced the flooring. The original lino flooring had actually cracked and split in the cold Canadian winter so it needed to be replaced anyway. She chose a medium-toned vinyl plank floor to replace it. It shows very little dirt or dust and is easily wipe-able so it is perfect for a camper remodel.
She removed the bathroom door and finished it in a black chalkboard spray paint. It now looks so great as it greets you when you enter the trailer.
The finishing touches
The kiddos were so excited about the renovation because Deb allowed them to pick the colours for their bunks. Sweet P chose Vintage Cupcake by Country Chic Chalk Paint and B Boy went with Jet Ski which is a BeautiTone product. She wanted the bunks to have a cabin feel but still be usable and functional. Sweet P's room is decorated with a set of pink and white lantern lights from Walmart that Deb tied small pieces of white and pink fabrics to make a swag and a pretty pink arrow
She found these adorable trappers blankets which were a starting point for the rooms. The Hudson's Bay blanket for her son's bunk was from Etsy and she had the HUGE knit pillow made for him from her B Vintage line, at the time, in Charcoal. His cute boyish banner is from Target and the adorable fishing sign is HomeSense. She also built him a step up ladder with a handle at the top to help him get up and down. They re-faced the bunk divider with some chippy barn wood that I sealed with polyurethane to make sure he doesn't get splinters going up and down.
Hopefully you enjoyed this post on Deb's camper makeover! It was so much fun to makeover. Let us know what you thought of it in the comments below! If you have redone a camper in the past, we would love to see it too!
All in all, I spent about $500 to complete the whole camper remodel to a new beautiful oasis. It's all happy trails here forward.