DIY Scandinavian Tree Stand
We've always loved the simplicity of a Scandinavian Christmas. Especially Britt, who has been drawn to creating a cozy home with less. That's what inspired this simple but elegant Scandinavian tree stand DIY. With a few minor tweaks, she will show you how to take any old tree stand and turn it into the Scandinavian Christmas Tree of your dreams!
For Christmas 2020, Britt wanted to do something simple with her Christmas tree. She tried placing the 9-foot tree in an antique container, but it just kept falling over. She tried sourcing a vintage tree stand, but they are all made for faux trees, and Britt is all about the real Christmas trees. She loved the shape of her tree stand, but it just needed a little change. Check out how she created this simple antique-inspired tree stand.
Tools and Supplies
- Generic Tree Stand (for live trees)
- Spray Paint (Britt used 2 brass colours to add the appearance of texture)
- Dark Finishing Wax
- Cozy elements (Blankets, Twinkle lights, wooden ornaments, anything you'd like!)
Here is a BEFORE image of the tree stand ... scroll down to see the simple video of how Britt transformed this tree stand!
Shop DIY Supplies:
Shop Cozy Elements:
Step by Step Tutorial
- Take the screws out of the tree stand before you begin
- Pick a spray paint colour. Britt went with a brass colour, but matte black would also be stunning and timeless. Or even mixing silver colour spray paints to give it a mercury glass appearance! Honestly, almost any colour that matches your decor would look pretty. Cover the entire stand in one solid coat. Repeat coats if necessary.
- Lightly spray on a 2nd colour of spray paint to add depth. Don't spray the entire stand. If you add too much of the 2nd colour you can go back and add some of the 1st colour again. There is no exact right way to do this.
- Using a cloth, rub on a dark finishing wax for depth
- Add your tree
- Decorate UNDER the tree and enjoy!
The Scandinavian style is such a simple thing to achieve, but it is usually overthought. We are so conditioned to decorate our trees with heavy ribbons and decor that we forget how to simply enjoy the season. If you aren't ready for a naked tree just yet, try simply decorating your tree with just twinkle lights for a few days. If you still feel the need to add decorations after, then go for it! There's no harm in trying something new.
A Different Approach
If you don't have a tree stand that you are looking to revamp and don't want to buy something new just to paint it, try a different Scandinavian tree stand approach. Take a Vintage Enamel bucket and stick a tree in it! We use rocks to support the base, then fill it with water. Simple and timeless. Let us know which tree stand you prefer in the comments.
Shop Alternative Scandinavian Tree Stands: